Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sit in silence

Sitting at my kitchen table, waiting for children to get up and eat the biscuits and beautiful display of colorful fruit I have laid out for them. The door is open, the window shade is up, and I am sitting here. I am writing thank you cards and my heart is heavy. I am yearning to master this whole setting my intentions lifestyle. To wake up with purpose, with an intention to live focused on accomplishing certain goals. At times I feel distracted or frustrated. So, sitting still is where I decide to start. Allowing myself to just breathe in and breathe out, feeling the sun on my face, the warm coffee mug in my hands, gathering my thoughts so that I might release them for the day ahead of me. Confusion isn't peaceful, chaos isn't soothing, yet when those moments come I can be prepared.
I start simple, with love. For love is how so many of the great teachers before me lead. They chose love, which drew others to them. Jesus, Mother Teresa, my grandmother, so many. Jesus gave up his life for us, he offered his body as a sacrifice, Mother Teresa contributed her life to see others have a home, my grandmother got up every morning to feed her family and worked hard to provide for them as she became this huge heart for others to console with. Think about it, as parents we begin with love. As soon as our babies are born we hold them, kiss them, care for them. I have to remember this daily because I fall short at times. Reading scripture such as 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 fill my mind with affirmation, reminding me love is always possible. My intentions for this day, are to set it off with love. If I fail, I start again, I refresh my mind to the morning sitting in silence, pondering on the leaders that succeeded before me. It is possible to walk every day in love. When the teenagers are being teens, I recall holding them when infants in my arms. When I think my purpose isn't being fulfilled, I make a decision to honor someone else by reaching out a helping hand or write a thank you note just because.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment