Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Father: Part II


I wanted to honor my father the day of his memorial, so I shared a bit at the service......

My dad was a wonderful father, devoted husband, caring friend and an example of Christ. He had the best smile and heart filled laugh. I used to giggle with him as a young child, express how he embarrassed me as a teenager (by telling jokes and making fun with my friends), and finally I found his humor quite appealing as an adult. I realized he was smarter than me when I was turning 12 or 14 as he beat me at a game of Tetris(Nintendo- old school). My dad was so advanced when it came to technology and more "in the know" on the latest movie or music scene. His ability to laugh and listen are two of the characteristics I admired most. He instilled scripture in me by reading bedtime stories from the Bible as I was growing up. He was kind and gentle, he came to all my games and shows, read my writings and encouraged me to pursue my dreams. I absolutely adored my fathers laugh, savored his smile, and cherished his stories of growing up as a twin. His upbringing molded him into what he became, an exceptional man. His family loved to laugh, enough to where you cry or can't breath. My dad led by example the love of God through his life by providing for our family, using discipline, showing what it means to praise God -he persevered, he was patient, he loved when no one else seemed interested, he accepted me as our Heavenly Father accepts us....no matter where we are and just as we are. He acted on God's grace and lived hope. I aspire to do the same and reflect pieces of him, parts of the King, especially to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment