Friday, April 1, 2016

Day 9

Yesterday, was day 9 of my 30 day live/love like there is no tomorrow. It was a pretty chill day, me and the kids enjoyed the beach. They surfed and played in the sand, I read a book, we skateboarded, I was tired...
At the end of the night my 14 year old, Andrew, saw my weak eyes. I asked him to bring me my nightly supplements, he did, then he continued to bring me water and my contact case. I was in awe of his service, the kindness he was extending. I asked him "why are you being so kind to me?" His answer was "You tell me all the time to lead by example."
God ushers us beside still waters, he leads us to peace, his love flows beyond the throne. It can't be taken back, the wonders of his grace are sufficiently deeper than the sea. If anyone can love us, its our creator. His kingdom is our freedom, I can't help but long to know Him more and more. When others show me kindness, I don't question why God loves me, I just know He does. I experience emotions such as acceptance and love. Like a child that is comforted with a hug or kiss after having fallen down and scraped their knee.
Kindness, in the Bible, is described as a fruit of the Spirit. Fruit doesn't just appear, the seed is first planted in good soil, watered, nourished by the sun, slowly grows up against the wind, as well as face circumstances such as storms and hard rain. It takes time to fully develop into a juicy, ripe fruit. If picked too early, it taste bitter. Kindness works the same, it is a fruit of our spirit that needs to mature over time. It doesn't just happen. It has to be practiced, fed, nourished, and established through trials of life. I find I have to soak in God's love to understand kindness, in order for me to extend it I must seek it.
The most influential people in my life have been those that are kind. Besides my earthly father, a few that stand out having impacted my heart with beautiful kindness are Alice Prosser Johnson(my sixth grade teacher), Christy Lynch, Jennie and Brian Edwards. They took me in, as I was, and shared kindness. They were fruitful, their kindness was patient and full of a caring heart. Thank you friends for teaching me how priceless kindness is.

Back to Andrew, my middle son, who doesn't like his picture taken or being recognized. He can be so kind, so sweet, and a wonderful brother that any sibling could ask for. He constantly reminds me of my dad, it makes me feel incredibly honored to be called his mother. He has flaws(like all of us), but that is not what I want to focus on. I want to uplift him and encourage him of what he is doing right, as well as correct him using kindness as my foundation. Maybe, one day, he will do the same for his children and plant a seed of kindness like he did this week.

"Maybe our small acts of kindness will be the most significant legacy we leave behind." -Perry Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment