Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Daddy

My dad has been in the hospital for the past week. He had a seizure in the shower last Monday night and we are praying that he will have surgery tomorrow. It all depends on his platelet count. I'm scared, I'm sad, I'm lost. I LOVE my dad and hate seeing him go through this. He has glieoblastoma, which is an ugly, aggressive brain tumor that leaves its prey with only a year or 2 of life. I have read a couple of rare stories of survivors...10 years! I am hoping my father turns out to be one of these successes. I don't know if I am being selfish: desiring for him to see his grandchildren graduate from high school. All I can do is cry and pray. My dad has always influenced me, and the people he worked with and pretty much has been an example of LOVE....of God. He amazes me with how much he has put up with over the years and how he encourages people I don't even know.
We were sitting in the hospital room the other day and a old buddy from his work came by to let him know he was thinking about him. Then he went on to explain how strong my father is and how he is such an example of Christ. We learned this man became a Gideon, he helps raise money to create Bibles and distributes them throughout the world. He even hands them out at the local schools where he lives (and YES, he lives in the United States). To think that ONE individual(in this case -my dad) through a friendship can inspire someone to know Christ in such a way they impact millions. So, it is true that one person has the power to make a difference and change the world. Although, we might not see the benefits of our labor, we can rest assured that God is orchastrating our lives.

Before I left, my daddy said "Your beautiful." Yet, all I kept thinking about was HOW beautiful he is and how he allows God to use him. My dad, without knowing, helped to unveil my eyes to see the beauty and glory of our Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Kara, I saw your blog site on facebook. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed away a few weeks ago very suddenly and I wish there were so many things I could have said to him just one more time. I loved my dad so much and understand how you are feeling. My dad's strong faith in the Lord was amazing and I wish to only one day reach that level. I am mad and sad right now. I just wanted you to know that someone out here understands.

    Becky Gibson Coulter

    ReplyDelete