Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why I love ice cream....

Yes, as a fitness instructor of 10 years I have this incredible, uncontrollable habit of eating ice cream. You see, it started at a very young age. My beloved father would make it from scratch on our back porch. He would stir the ingredients in this magical, blue pail until (wa-la!) the most magnificent ice cream in the world appeared. I would not leave his side until I got my bowl. He had this crazy fetish of eating this insanely, cold food almost every other day. No wonder he was labeled the best dad and grandpa in the south, right! One time when I was growing up -in the 80's, he was making our favorite snack and a lizard crawled up his pant leg...so, he started, what is now known as, the stomp. It was so funny! This was the defining moment that I knew my dad had rhythm. I was rolling over with laughter, so I can't remember if the lizard survived or not. Everytime my father ate ice cream he would stop and stare, BRAIN FREEZE. No matter how much it hurt he would finish it off. It was just too yummy. The last few months of his life, he craved this most cherished treat. So, I would pick some of my popular choices up from the grocery store and we'd sit on the back porch eating a little piece of heaven on earth. I giggle over the time when he gave me his ice cream and grabbed my prize flavor (Haagen-Dazs: vanilla with honey) to taste and then he proceeded to eat the WHOLE pint, not leaving any for me.
I adore ice cream, it takes me to a place of memories and comfort. It reminds me -that no matter what, to finish it. To finish what I started, that I may get a few brain freezes along the way yet, if I don't finish I'll never know how juicy, sweet life can be. The times where you can relish in laughter and zeal. Endure the hard times, the struggles you may encounter, so that you can garner the rich moments.....the ones that feel completely yummy in the depths of your tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment