Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Distractions

Sometimes I want to say it out loud, or shoot -even if I could just scream it! At least, that's how I feel. I want to speak truth and have it in return. I get so tired of the games people play. I don't agree with someone dragging others through the mud because they feel the need to justify their own beliefs. I am exhausted from the lies, the threats, the gossip, the flakiness of the fakeness! It's as if some people are like onions, each layer has more of a stench to them. And I, the optimist that I am, keep hoping as I continue to peel away through the tears to discover the essence of what is (supposedly) a soul. You may be wondering what any of this has to do with distractions. The smell of an onion is somewhat distracting. It has such a strong vapor that it can literally make you cry. It feels as if it is an attack on your tear glands. What is really happening is gas being dispensed from the onion reacting with the water in your tears to form sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid burns, stimulating your eyes to release more tears to wash the irritant away. The crazy aspect of it all: if you never have cut an onion before.....you wouldn't know this scenario was going to happen by just looking at the onion. So who cares if the onion is full of flavor and has the properties of medicine. Onions are used in the treatment of diarrhea, colds, intestinal parasites, gallstones, and rheumatism. The very compounds that give onions their pungency, taste and smell have been identified as substances that may fight cancer.
What is distracting us from getting to the core, that will help us to wash away the impurities and irritants of ourselves? I could give you a long list of my distractions, but I won't bore you. Yes, some people are like onions. We do not want to deal with their layers of CRAP! Yet, by the time we are done peeling away everything....there it is, we have gained something. Whether it be patience, self control, gentleness, kindness, or even love. I have this theory that we are supposed to learn more to some degree instead of feeling hurt, lost or burned out. That we as humans are granted a spark of understanding, that we may not judge one another however, to encourage each other. I am an onion, not very appealing sometimes and distracting in ways I'd rather not say. My strong personality can be full of flavor, attempt to reach the core and you might unveil your own medicine.

2 comments:

  1. gaaaa! kara, this is so where i am at right now... discovering more and more crap with people is not my idea of "fun"... and yet they seem to think that i am wrong for getting tired of their stench! blech!

    anyway, in this process of unpeeling layers of lies and mistrust and dishonesty and accusations,,, for me, i am learning not to be a doormat... and not to take it personally. the person i am dealing with is in a rough place in life and i get it... they are treating a lot of people really badly and they *really* have no idea of the mess they leave behind.

    i am glad that i am in a better place now in my own life that i can walk away and know it's okay...

    just another view of the onion topic.

    :0)
    Analise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kara, I knew I liked you but now I know why. You have an amazing mind that I can totally relate to.Why do we wonder around playing games instead of truthfully relating to each other? This drives me crazy as well. Some of the people that appeared so real to me turned out to be putting on a front, too. Now I wonder if I have to put my wall up again or do I dare to stick my neck out? Check out momlogic.com and maybe you'll like it. See you at school. Elizabeth Scheeler

    ReplyDelete