Monday, June 22, 2015

Single Mom Stories of Encouragement

After an endless weekend of painting, fearlessly climbing (honestly scared to death of falling) cabinets and furniture to get the edge of trimwork on a vaulted ceiling coated with killz to escape the smell of smoke from the previous owner... I was tired. I didn't feel like standing in line at Walmart, waiting to return a can of paint. I, in my Dickies paint splattered overalls, wore the white paint quite well all over my arms, hands, toes, hair, & ears. I stood patiently, waiting my turn. The older gentleman, in front of me, had an accent along with 6 bags of clothes he was returning. He turned around to see me and smiled. He chuckled and said: "you must be a painter!" I replied with: "this weekend I am." He continued to talk as a line formed behind us. I could feel the tension of the people, the man -enjoying our conversation, was very loud. He was getting eye rolls & impatient looks from the crowd. The lady behind me asked if I knew him, I was honest with her by stating: "no." She then told me to not look at him and ignore him, so he would stop talking. Is this what we have come to? We are in such a hurry that we can't be kind? I continued to listen to the gentleman, acknowledged him as he boasted what he did for work, how much money he made, his divorce, etc. He then pulled his money out, he tried to give everyone in line some, no one would take it as if it was contaminated with some deadly virus. I held my hand out, told him: "I'll take some." It was $5, finally the clerk was finished scanning the mountain of clothes. Twenty minutes had passed and I was finally being helped. Bob(let's just call him Bob, my kids call everyone Bob(idk why)) didn't leave, he sat down, yes- still talking out loud to the line of people he helped create at customer service. As I began to leave, Bob came up to me. He handed me a gift card. He said "I don't know how much is on it, but maybe you can use it." I asked if he was sure, he told me to take it. I thanked him and left, called the number on the back of the card, there was $59 on it! I thought the whole situation was bizarre until I remembered how I stood in front of the cooking sets at Wal-Mart a week prior, I needed one for my new place along with silverware. As I went to the back to get the set and silverware, I couldn't stop smiling. When I went to check out at the register the price rang up higher than what I read in the back of the store, so I told the cashier that I couldn't get it. I knew the price would go over the gift card value. She asked me why, so I told her I must have looked at the price sticker wrong on the aisle. She asked what the sticker said, so I let her know, then she told me to hold on. Next thing I know she is fixing the price in the register to the price I saw! I share this with you because I'm in awe. We can't assume God's blessings to come a certain way. Sometimes, his gifts may not look like gifts, they may be wrapped up in what the world views as irritating or obnoxious. My prayer.....that we all become more patient, so that we may see as God does. Taking the time out for those right beside us as we wait in line at the store. Be loving, be gentle, listen with sincerity, so that we may learn and be blown away by God's faithfulness & promises. 

1 comment: