Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hey, hello, anyone? anyone?

Okay, I should be doing my algebra right now, but I HAVE to let this OUT!!!!! Not that it really matters, right? I can't imagine anyone addicted to my rantings. But, today was soooooo good! Church made me happy to be alive. I guess it really wasn't church that did it. It was God.
Pause:
There are times when I'm super overwhelmed and I fear that I haven't done my best as a person, a woman, a mother or just point blank I haven't been true to whom Kara is. To tell this in a series of events so that someone might understand it all.....I will start with this past Thursday night. I had some peeps over from church and we got into the ramblings of why doesn't the church do enough? Why do most Christians ignore the needs of others all around them? Pointing fingers, tongues full of accusations, and not daring to make a difference in their communities. I, doing what I do best, defended each side. People are wrapped up in their lives, taken away by their to do list, hurting deep within themselves due to unwanted hits of life(death, divorce, financial loss, etc.). Most humans can't see past their own noses because of the inward battle and consuming agenda they have calculated as their world. Knowing it will fall apart if they wake up from this glorified temple they have righteously built on their own terms. Because if they (I really should use- WE) step into the awareness of living in this world then WE would see with our own eyes the difference that just ONE of us could make! Unveiling our self absorption to discover THIS is where I am supposed to be! I am HERE to bless, I am HERE to give HOPE, I am HERE for a FREAKIN REASON!
YES! Today I feel like I woke up! My kids need me, I need me. I LOVE what I do. I love the people I know. I make a difference.
For the past month since I moved (into my new home) I have wanted to somehow serve the homeless man that lives literally 20 steps away from my back door. After an amazing, encouraging, word from this mornings service, I stopped procrastinating. I MADE my children gather all this man's belongings, which were wet clothes scattered amongst the ground. We threw away some of the trash that was near his resting spot. For the next two hours my roommate and I washed this man's clothes that consisted of 2 pair of jeans, 6 shirts, 2 shorts, 3 pair of underwear, 2 pair of socks, a washcloth, and a towel. I drove my children to the store where we bought him a $4 plastic bin to hold his belongings. Andrew and Luke paid for a drink with 102 pennies each, the clerk's remark under her breath how she wasn't a piggy bank didn't even phase my children. We neatly folded his clothes, rolled them into his new green container that hid perfectly in the wooded area he returned to every night. I didn't have much, but what I had -I shared: strategically placing 6 granola bars, 2 gatorades, 6 slim jims, 1 apple, 1 orange, a package of ritz crackers, a water bottle full of water, alongside my roomies 3 cans of soup she placed in this man's new camouflage bin.
We don't know if this man will hate or appreciate our gesture. You never can tell, I've talked to many homeless people before and they(like us) are human.
He might be pissed we moved his things, he might not be and maybe even happy his clothes are free from dirt and smell slightly better. I just know that he is a man, a man that needs hope, just like us.
I always say, "If I could only do more....." Well, from now on, I'm not just going to pray about it, I'm going do it. Some things in this life don't need prayer, they just need action.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!
    Love it, love it,love it.
    Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete